Saturday, May 24, 2008

I LOVE My New Lens

Lately I have been OBSESSED with trying to get better at taking pictures. I have spent hours looking at photographers' websites, joining photography discussion forums and just plain practicing with my camera. My main interest in photography is portraits (as opposed to landscape or wildlife, etc.), primarily because I just want to be able to take pictures of my children and really be able to capture how amazing and beautiful I think they are. So I knew after I started learning more that I would want to purchase a better portrait lens. I have been researching for a while and made my final decision based on the recommendation of a REALLY good photographer - Rebecca Linh Rodgers - her link was on my friend Heidi's blog and I LOVE her photos so I finally got the courage to email her and bombard her with questions :)

I made my purchase this week and have been playing with my lens every day. It is a 50 mm f/1.4 for my Canon Digital Rebel. I still have NO IDEA what I am doing but I think the more I practice the more I will start to figure it out. I took some shots of James today and a random one of Haylie that I was pretty pleased with. They are still a little fuzzy around the edges but I just have to get better at understanding how it focuses, overall I am soooo excited because the lens is so much more crisp than the standard one that came with the camera.

6 comments:

Mindy said...

Oh my goodness Sandy! Terrific pictures. Could James' eyes be any more beautiful? I love the first picture. It's stunning. You should enter the photo contest for Parent's magazine that Christine was blogging about. You are so talented!

Kirk and Abbey said...

Those are absolutely beautiful pictures! When can I bring Claire over for a photo shoot??

~april said...

great shots!!! get ready now for YOU to be bombarded with photos requests--remember i was one of the 1st that asked! the model just needs to be born first! :)

Jaime Tyler said...

Love them! You'll need to get yourself a calendar now as the requests for photo shoots come pouring in! :) If you want to practice on a not-so-still subject, let me know! :)

Sarah & Jill said...

Did you have James on a black background? Did you use the velvet (you mentioned to me once on the phone)or was the room you were in dark? I love the pics too! Maybe we need to get a portrait lense. Our camera doesn't always want to focus close up.

little sailor girl said...

ok...i love all these pics! you are going to have to take some of me and haylie when i come to visit! some with my uniform on too since she likes saying coast guard so much!