Friday, May 16, 2008

Finding Community in the Blogosphere

I am new to the blogging world, only a month or so in, but I must say I am addicted. I love to write about the things going on in our life and even more, I love to read about what everyone else is doing or thinking. The whole blogging thing has become quite the obsession around here and my husband now refers to me as "the Runner Daily Reporter." I have been thinking a lot about my new hobby and what draws me to it, whether it is something I want to keep up with and spend my time on and whether it is a healthy pastime or a new fad that people haven't yet seen the dangers of. I find "blogging" a very fascinating phenomenon that has spread like wildfire, especially with the "mommy blogger" crowd. There are even whole conferences dedicated to blogging that I had no idea about.

Before I share my conclusion, I decided I will give some admissions first.

1. I check my friends' blogs for updates pretty much every day and sometimes even multiple times a day. I can't wait to see new posts :)
2. I am sometimes a blogger stalker! Yes, I look at other people's blogs that I don't even know and I do not make comments. I have been trying to give myself up and let people know I have been reading their blog but sometimes I can't bring myself to do it, especially if I don't know the person. (If you are reading this and stalking my blog, let me know because I am probably stalking yours too and we could just get it out in the open...)
3. I still have not figured out proper blogger protocol - like, my girlfriends and I were talking about this a little while ago, how good of friends do you have to be with someone before you add them to your friends list?
4. Lately whenever I have a spare moment I steal away to my computer and when my husband finds me and asks, "What are you doing?" he already knows the answer, "blogging!!" or at least reading someone else's blog...
5. I love comments. It's nice to know that people are reading what you are writing and what they think about it. I think its because of my own need for affirmation, but I try to leave comments as often as possible on other people's blogs too.
6. Sometimes after I finish a post I get so excited I call my sister or my husband and say you have to read my blog!!

So now that I am out in the open and have exposed my inner secrets on blogging, here is my conlusion. I have decided that blogging provides a sort of "community" among friends that I enjoy being a part of. I am sticking with it and enjoying the fun it provides. Blogging has become the topic of many conversations with friends and acquaintances alike. In addition, I am learning about my existing friends, catching up with old friends and making new friends through the activity of blogging. I think that blogging becomes dangerous when we allow it to replace interpersonal, face to face relationship building, but it's nice to be able to put our thoughts out there and share them with our friends, from the joys and struggles of raising our children to the fun and challenges of our everyday lives. We can share in each other's stories and laugh along with each other about the funny things our children did that day. So thank you to all of my fellow bloggers for the entertainment and sense of community that you provide. Now take a deep breath, publish post!

8 comments:

Jaime Tyler said...

Thank you for being honest and open about what the rest of us do all the time anyways! :) I have not quite gotten into the "stalking" bit yet...I'll keep you posted! I too have wondered about the impersonal side and also the amount of time I can waste sitting in front of the computer so I propose a toast...to responsible blogging! Cheers!

Christine said...

You pretty much summed it up for mostly all of us! Can I link to this post on my weekly roundup? Pretty please?

Oh, and I got something for you... Let me just say that I'm spreadin' the "wealth"!

~Chris

~april said...

sandy, i have been blogging since 2005 and i really enjoy it too. i check freinds' blogs often for updates and love to see what everyone's been up to while we've been unable to catch up otherwise. it helps get us quickly oriented when we are able to chat. it was funny, i called sarah yesterday to ask how her sailing trip was b/c i had seen on her facebook acct and blog that they had been sailing. technology opens up whole new worlds--we are wise to be wary, but at the same time use it to our advantage.
~april

Anonymous said...

I guess you could call me a Blog Stalker...I have no blog but read Jaime's to see what she writes and when I have time look at the blogs that she has linked - I learn many things about our friends that I would not have if I wasn't browsing!

Silly Lilly & Family said...

It has been very fun to get to hear about the Runner family and all that is going on. I definately think you are right about the interpersonal relationships. Thanks for sharing and deciding to keep it going.

Kirk and Abbey said...

Okay, here is another confession (and please tell me I am not alone in this!)... Do you ever find yourself more excited about the possibility of blogging (and posting pictures) about an experience rather than just enjoying the experience itself? I guess it is a symptom of our digital/reality-show age. When we had family in for Mother's Day, we had cameras going right and left. I am sure we spent just as much time taking pictures than we actually did just enjoying our day. Must we be so aware of ourselves all the time?

I have heard the complaint that the internet can be a substitute for "real" relationships, but I think that it actually helps me keep up with friends that I have and can't keep up with as much as I would like, especially friends and family who live far away. I love reading your blog!

Mindy said...

Whew! Back to the blogosphere and I laughed out loud at your blogging confessions! How honest and vulnerable and true! I love your blog and I also log on daily to catch up with friends. GREAT POST SANDY!!!! I couldn't have summed it up better myself. :)

Anonymous said...

Sandy, I liked your post, a few of your admissions are similar to mine! I have yet to venture out and create a blog of my own and until then I really enjoy reading everyone else's. I love to look at the pictures you post and all the wonderful happenings in the daily lives of friends. I'll let you know when I get the guts to start my own blog... Sara:)