Friday, May 9, 2008

Finding Jammies for Monkey and Baby

Every day when I get Haylie up from her nap I enter her room to find all of her clothes removed from the drawers where I had neatly folded and placed them the day before. Haylie is perched on her bed in such a way as to assure Mommy she had followed directions and stayed in her bed the whole time. Only now she has clothes in her bed with her, which somehow jumped out of her drawers and onto her lap. This has been going on for several weeks and each day it looks a little different. Some days she only empties the shirt drawer, some days only the pajama drawer. Usually, all of the clothes are in a pile in front of the dresser, as shown below. Sometimes I find a mound of shirts, carefully laid one on top of the other over Haylie's favorite monkey (she's apparently testing out how they will look). One day I entered and there were no clothes on the ground and both drawers were closed. I thought, WOW, I don't have to re-fold and re-put away all of Haylie's clothes today. Then out of the corner of my eye I saw the very full laundry hamper. Haylie had taken every article of clothing out of her drawers and filled the laundry hamper to the brim, which she happened to find hilarious. The last couple days I came prepared with my camera as I knew exactly what to expect, and I was not disappointed. I don't know why I had never asked before (I just accepted it as our daily ritual), but for the first time yesterday I asked Haylie, "Why do you take all of your clothes out of your drawers?" And she responded, "I finding jammies for Monkey and Baby." So there you have it, we dressed Monkey and Baby as we do most days and proceeded to put all the clothes back in the drawers. I can't tell you how much I love her carefree spirit and willingness to pull every single article of clothing out of those drawers to find exactly the right shirt or jammies for Monkey and Baby.

Yesterday

The Day Before

1 comments:

Megan said...

I love this. It cracks me up to think about what they are actually doing when we think they are "napping".