Sunday, June 15, 2008

Happy Father's Day

Happy Father's Day to my honey!!! I wanted to take a moment to celebrate my wonderful husband. There aren't words to express how grateful I am for him and what a great father and husband he is. I went searching through my memorabilia bins in the garage today to find a journal I had kept in college, and in it, neatly tucked away was "The List"...When I was in college one of the leaders in our women's group encouraged us to make a list of qualities that described our ideal guy. Believe it or not I still have the list after all the years. The list containted not only qualities for a husband but also for the husband when he becomes a Dad (I was just that thorough). Here are a few of the qualities straight (as written) from the list that I wrote 10 years ago.

"The Ideal Guy"
-A man of God
-A witness by his life
-Genuinely loves others
-A servant
-Altruistic
-Humble
-Kind and Caring towards others
-Does not drink or smoke
-Loves his family!
-Fair /open-minded
-Hard worker / ambitious
-Self Confident (through God though!)
-Constantly striving to grow and make himself better

A Good Dad
-Loves the Lord
-Loves his children
-Playful
-Humble - takes advice from others
-Not high-tempered
-Patient
-Fair (Gives reasons behind decisions)

I can honestly say God found exactly the right person for me. Micah fits all of the qualities on my list (and trust me it was long!). He is an attentive, patient husband who puts his family before himself. I love taking the kids to bed with him every night. I feed and change James while Micah dresses Haylie, reads to her, sings Ariel or Jasmine songs (which he never thought he would know by heart) and then says prayers with her. Later when we go to bed we stop by the kids' room and peek in on them - sometimes I forget and walk straight into our room but Micah never does - he always checks on them first. We peer over them as they are sleeping and then head off to our room talking about how silly they look or how big they are getting.

A couple years ago Micah got me a garden sign that says, "Grow old along with me, the best is yet to be." It is so true - with every new stage in life Micah's character shines out of him and I am just so grateful.

"Now to Him who is able to do immeasurably more than we ask or imagine, to Him be the glory forever and ever Amen." Eph 3:20

A picture from today - we let Dad be the boss for the day! :)

2 comments:

~april said...

that is so sweet sandy! i remember that list! so happy micah is the love of your life :)

It's Dangerous to Pick a Nurses Brain said...

how fun! i also made a list in college. and just this past valentines day i dug it out and framed it for him. he was quite surprised, but so was i. i couldn't believe how true my list was, down to every detail (and like you, i was pretty specific). happy belated fathers days micah.