Thursday, June 26, 2008

Eyes on the King

Over the last several weeks I have had the pleasure of participating in a book club blog (or as my friend Mindy calls it - a "book clog"). It's like a traditional book club but instead of getting together, since we are all spread apart, we have been blogging our thoughts on the book we are reading. It has been a great experience but I wanted to share a post I recently did because it is something I have been so passionate about in my own life lately.

The book is Cure for the Common Life by Max Lucado and here is the jist of the message:

"Cure any flareup of commonness by setting our eyes on the King." (p.75) or straight out of the Bible: "Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things." (Col 3:2)

In the book Lucado shares the following story: "During our summer vacation I took my daughters on a snorkeling trip. I took advantage of the occasion to solicit a sailing lesson. After awhile the captain offered, 'Would you like to sail us home?' ...he pointed to a rocky outcrop on the shore. 'Target that cliff,' he instructed. 'Set your eyes and the boat on it.' I found the instruction hard to follow. Other sights invited my attention: the rich mahogany of the deck, my giggling daughters beneath the sail, rich foam cresting on the waves. I wanted to look at it all. But look too long and risk losing the course. The boat stayed on target as long as I set my eyes beyond the vessel. Worship helps us do this in life. It lifts our eyes off the boat with its toys and passengers and sets them "on the realities of heaven, where Christ sits at God's right hand." (Col 3:1)

Every time I seem to lose my way, doubt my self, have a bad attitude, or just plain disobey Him (the list could go on forever), it's a matter of focus. I took my eyes off God, I focused on something other than Him and it made me lose my course!! Every time I focus squarely on Him, I feel more content, more joyful and the results are always better than I could imagine.

1 comments:

heidi said...

i really enjoyed this post! its so frustrating to look back at how easily our focus gets distracted, and the big chunks of time that we wasted trying to overcome our sinfullness, trying by our own strentgh to get out of the trap. thanks for sharing!