Monday, July 14, 2008

Is Anyone Safe?

The scariest thing just happened! And of course I felt the need to blog about it right away! :) I was sitting in the living room playing with James when I heard a quick knock and then our front door opened. I popped around the corner to see who it was (I generally tell friends and family no need to knock - just come on in) when I saw a strange man standing about 5 feet into our house. The following conversation occurred:

Me: "Hello?" (with a very puzzled / I'm sure a little startled look on my face)

Strange Man: "Oh ...(looking a little surprised to see me as well)...do you have some construction going on here...?"

(Currently our front yard is down to the dirt as we are in the middle of re-doing the landscaping.)

Me: "Yes, well some yardwork. (looking like duh - look around dude!)

Strange Man: "Oh...(stuttering on his words) I just saw a car driving by the house, stopping and looking at the house."

Me: "Well I don't know about that. What kind of car was it? (thinking why are you still standing in the middle of my front room?)

Strange Man: "It was a white Acura."

Me: "Oh yes, that's my husband." (He had just dropped off Raider after the doctor's appt)

Strange Man: "Oh, ok (finally stepping back). Well I just wanted to check if you had construction going on cause I saw the car... I live a couple streets over."

Me: "Where?" (OK seriously why are you in my house?)

Strange Man: "Just on the other side of those houses."

Me: "Ok" (thinking yeah right... or... ok I am pretty flexible but I would have liked to get to know you a little before you just open my door and invite yourself in)

Strange Man: (Now outside - finally!) "You know you should really lock your door, there are a lot of robberies going on."

Me: "Yeah thanks, I will!"

So I locked all the doors and called Micah. He had actually seen the same guy driving closely behind him in a green sedan when he dropped Raider off ,and then when Micah pulled into the driveway the guy did a U turn and went the other way. So Micah thought maybe it was just a paranoid neighbor. I wasn't really satisfied with that answer given that the paranoid neighbor was standing in my living room while I was at home by myself with 2 babies and a cripple :) I got off the phone with Micah and called his Mom to tell her about it when Raider's crutches fell and hit the floor. I swore it was someone coming in the door and freaked out... until Raider informed me his crutches had fallen. About 10 minutes later the front door opened and my heart dropped again but it was Micah - my knight in shining armor!! :) He had rushed home to protect us!!!

It is just scary- I feel like we live in a really safe neighborhood at the back of a big circle that only people on the street would be in. But you just never know. Perhaps it was a paranoid neighbor. Perhaps not. We will definitely be staking out the neighborhood for that green car for sure. But from the girl who always said our door is open - you might have to knock now because it will probably be locked. Let the paranoia begin!

4 comments:

Mindy said...

CREEPY!!!! Okay, so I hate to freak you out and all, but I'm not buying the whole concerned neighbor bit AT ALL. Wouldn't a neighbor knock and then wait to see if someone answered? Maybe knock again if no one answered? He seemed awful quick to try the door...and then to let himself in, be surprised to see you, and stumble over his words? Why was he concerned that you had construction going on anyway? If he was really a neighbor from just a few houses back (let's say he goes for walks down your street), then he for sure would have seen the yard work in progress---you guys have lived there long enough for a "neighbor" to not be surprised. He was probably just a yucky scumbag looking for a foreclosed house to rip off or something--in search of some new appliances. YUCK! Add the robbery comment to that, and you might want to make a report. I vote for locking the doors! I'm so glad you're all safe. Next time just have Raider beat the intruder with his crutches. I mean, he's got plenty right?

The Runner Bunch said...

You are so right Mindy!!!! Those are exactly all the thoughts I was having. And creepy is a good word!

Kirk and Abbey said...

I agree with Mindy -- if he really was a concerned neighbor, he would knock and then introduce himself by name and tell you more specifically where he lived. He would also mention some specific robbery instance that he heard about. Sounds like he was cruising the neighborhood, looking for a car to drive away from a house and then thinking it would be empty for the day. Since it wasn't, he had to make up a story! (Remember the old adage: He who smelt it dealt it!)(Sorry, it seemed to fit...)

One morning I opened the front door to get the paper and a big dog ran into the house... that's about the biggest scare I ever had. I can't imagine seeing a strange man in my house! I would report the car and the description of the man in case there are other reports out on him.

Keep those precious kids locked indoors! :)

Jaime Tyler said...

Seriousy! That is crazy! And Grant wonders why I knock?! I don't want to scare anyone and I know them! Definitely report it and keep those doors locked for sure. We won't take it personally, we promise!