Sunday, April 27, 2008

"Prayer Works"

This was Raider's pronouncement in the car this morning on the way to church. He was without crutches so Micah made the observation that his ankle (he had sprained it earlier in the week) seemed to heal pretty quickly, to which Raider responded, "prayer works." I assumed he meant the prayers that we have said for him before dinner, or the fact that he had added his ankle to our family prayer list so we could all be praying for him. But when we probed further about what he meant, he told us this story, which I had to share: On Friday at school he was sitting by himself, fumbling with his crutches (if you saw him with crutches you would understand - not very swift!!), when a Junior at his school came up and asked to pray for him. He stopped and prayed for healing for Raider's ankle on the spot. Since then, Raider says, it has been feeling better, and he is now convinced of the power of prayer, "prayer works!"

This morning there was an article in the Sacramento Bee about Micah's mom's lung condition. If you haven't seen it, click here. I loved how the article focused on her faith and that the intent of her prayers is not to get new lungs but that's God's will would be done. What a testimony to the world about the value and purpose of prayer; what a testimony about the power of God. My first thought when I read the article, although it brought tears to my eyes when it got to the part about seeing James grow up, was to count it a blessing to have such an amazing woman, an incredible spirit and such a great example in our lives! I must admit - I pray that she would get new lungs, that God would heal her right away and that she will be around to play with our childrens' children. I told Raider he needs to find that kid who prayed for him at school and get him to come pray for Grandma!!

Psalm 121 (A song of ascents)

"I lift up my eyes to the hills -Where does my help come from?
My help comes from the LORD, the Maker of heaven and earth.
He will not let your foot slip - He who watches over you will not slumber;
Indeed, he who watches over Israel will neither slumber nor sleep.
The LORD watches over you -The LORD is your shade at your right hand;
The sun will not harm you by day, nor the moon by night.
The LORD will keep you from all harm -He will watch over your life;
The LORD will watch over your coming and going both now and forevermore."

0 comments: