Thursday, July 2, 2009

Not for the Squeamish

This past weekend we decided to take a little day trip to the river. We found a little beach along the way and stopped for a picnic and some swimming. The kids had so much fun and it was SUPER hot out so the water felt nice.

Later this week I was washing Haylie's hair in the bathtub when I felt a big lump underneath her hair. I split her hair apart and saw a big, bug-looking object connected to her head. Micah said it was a tick and I freaked out! Poor Haylie got scared because she saw my face and I was going a little crazy. I had to calm down and we had to come up with a strategy to get it out. Micah told me to you to put a little fire at the tail so he ran downstairs. He comes back with the barbecue lighter and seriously thought he was going to light that thing next to Haylie's head. After I made it clear that would be over my dead body he got some tweezers and began to slowly pull the tick off of her head. It was swollen up as it had been there a few days but it was luckily mostly on the outside of her head. After about 10 minutes or so, and lots of crying by Haylie (she actually did a really great job holding still and letting Daddy rip the bug off of her head), it finally came off, with a little chunk of her head attached. It was truly the grossest thing I have ever seen. I wasn't even going to blog about it because I was so grossed out but I tell you, if I ever go to the river or woods again I am definitely going to check for ticks. In fact, I still feel like they're crawling all over me. YUCK!!

0 comments: